Are you looking for a power backup solution for high power requirements like a 5 ton AC or a Jobsite? If yes, getting the best 50 Amp generators can be an excellent option for you. Apart from having an insane amount of power, these generators can also get you a longer backup from 8 to 12 hours. Thus, a power outage or a mass outing won’t go out of power even if you have high power requirements.
However, buying the best 50 Amp generators is a daunting job because there are too many self-proclaimed braggers around. On top of that, there is a lot to consider in terms of spec-sheets. Our expert team is aware of all the factors and they have researched the most promising generators in the market. Get through the article, we’ve come up with a list after filtrations that you can rely on while buying your next generator.
What Is The Difference Between 30 Amp And 50 Amp Generator?
The basic difference between the 30 and 50 amp generators is the power wattage they supply. A 30 amp generator provides 3600 watts power while the 50 amp generator provides 12000 watts. They differ in the RV design as well. A 30 amp RV plug has a neutral wire and a ground wire with a 120 volts wire. On the contrary, a 50 amp RV plug has a neutral wire and a ground wire with 2 120 volt wires that provide two separate voltage.
Table of Content:
Here is the table of content for navigating through the article quickly:
- Top 5 Best 50 AMP Generator Reviews 2020
- What To Consider Before Buying A 50 Amp Generator?
Running short on time? If you want to figure out all of the products without going to the details, have a look at this comparison chart:
Top 5 Best 50 AMP Generator Reviews 2020
We have analyzed the features of the 50 amp generators in terms of fuel type, power, safety, noise, and portability. After that, we have boiled down our research to 5 of the best 50 amp generators in the market:
1. Generac 5734 GP15000E 15000 Portable Generator
Generac 5734 GP15000E comes with an overhead valve industrial (OHVI) engine with high-performance service for construction sites, or campsites. With a 992cc powerful engine, the generator produces 15000 watts, which is ideal for heavy-duty appliances. It has a compact size frame with a lifting hook and all-terrain wheels that help you carry it anywhere.
Its 22500 watts of starting power and 15000 watts of running power is enough for power backup for small homes. You will get 120 or 240 volts with its gasoline-fueled 4 strokes, air-cooled engine. The Generac portable gas generator has a battery-powered electric starter that can run the engine within seconds. It has a large fuel tank that can hold 16 gallons of gasoline to provide continuous backup for 10 hours at 50% load.
This portable generator has 8 AC outlets and 1 DC outlet to charge up many devices at the same time. It has a low-tone muffler that helps the engine run noise-free, so you can place it anywhere. Plus, the generator ensures safety and protection to electronic devices from short circuits, power overloads, and other unexpected events.
Generac 5734 Features:
- Its 15000W running power and 22500W starting power provides full power backup for a small home.
- With a compact size frame, lift hook, and terrain wheels, it can be moved anywhere easily.
- The fuel tank can hold 16-gallon gasoline that runs around 10 hours at 50% load.
- The generator shuts down when the oil level becomes low to ensure overload protection.
- It has 8 AC and 1 DC outlets that help you connect several devices at the same time.
2. DuroMax XP12000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator
DuroMax XP12000EH comes with dual fuel (Gasoline and Propane) technology that provides flexibility in use. It has a 457cc overhead valve engine powered by 18HP Duromax MX2 technology. You’ll get 9500 watts running power and 12000 watts starting power which is perfect for small homes or outdoor events. Plus, you can power up heavy-duty appliances such as fridges, air conditioners, and other 50 Amp power tools.
When you use propane fuel, it’s less efficient than gasoline producing 8075 watts running power and 10200 watts starting power. But, the interesting fact is, it creates only 72 dB noise which is lower than the music background sound. You can start the generator with a simple electric starter and recoil starter. Its THD level is below 12%, so it’s not suitable for sensitive electronics.
You can hold 8.3 gallons gasoline or 20 lbs propane that makes it one of the best dual fuel portable generators. It can run for 9 hours and 4 hours at 50% load respectively, which is enough for outages and blackout areas. With its 5 AC outlets and 1 DC outlet, you can power up many devices simultaneously. Plus, it has a transfer switch that can supply power immediately during outage or load shedding.
DuroMax XP12000EH Features:
- It has a 457cc engine that produces 8075 to 1200 watt using both propane or gasoline fuel.
- The fuel tank can hold 20 lbs propane or 8.3 gallons gasoline that can produce power for 4 or 9 hours at 50% load.
- There is a transfer switch that helps to supply electricity immediately after an outage.
- You’ll get a light indicator and a fuel gauge to see the fuel level to ensure device safety.
- It has 5 AC and 1 DC outlets to power up many devices at the same time.
3. Rainier R12000DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator
The Rainier R12000DF Portable Generator comes with a 457cc 4 stroke dual-fuel engine with an overhead valve. It produces 12000 watts of pick and 9500 watts or running power with propane and respectively 10800 and 8550 watts with gasoline. It’s perfect for providing power backup in outdoor festivals, sports programs, or a small house. You get 120/240 volts output in the dual fuel system that cannot affect daily use.
It takes 6.6 gallons of gasoline or 20 lbs propane, which can produce power up to 17 hours or 11 hours respectively at a 25% load. Operating the generator is noise-free as it creates only 72 dB, which is lower than a lawnmower. You can start the engine with a recoil starter or a simple electric starter comfortably. Its THD level is very high, about less than 23%, which is risky for power-sensitive devices.
This dual fuel portable gas propane generator has 5 AC outlets to charge up many devices but has NO DC outlets. It has a VFT screen that helps you check the voltage, frequency level, and timer. With a transfer switch, it provides emergency power supply during power outages. You can take it away anywhere, even in stormy environments because of its robust build.
Rainier R12000DF Features:
- It can produce 8550 watts running to 12000 watts starting power; perfect for power backup in small houses and job sites.
- The VFT screen shows the voltage level, frequency level, and the timer of how long it runs for.
- The tank can hold 6.6 gallons of gasoline or 20 lbs propane for 17 or 11 hours of backup at 25% load.
- It automatically shut down when the fuel level becomes low and overload happens.
- The fuel gauge indicates the level of fuel so that you can calculate the power consumption.
4. WEN DF1100T Dual Fuel Portable Generator
WEN DF1100T has a 457cc air-cooled OHV dual-fuel engine that produces 9500 watts of starting and 7500 watts of running power with propane. With gasoline, it produces 11000 watts starting power and 8300 watts running power; sufficient for small houses and professional jobs. You can start this dual fuel portable generator with an electric start by pulling the handle beside the electric starter. Plus, it has 9.5 inches wheel and handles kit that can help to take it away anywhere.
It has an amazing control panel to change fuel type and see the electric starter switch. You’ll get 6 AC outlets and a DC outlet with which you can connect many devices simultaneously. Its fuel tank takes 6.6 gallons of gasoline or 20 lbs of propane for 8.5 or 3 hours of runtime at 50% load. Furthermore, it produces only 72 dB noise, which is less than a lawnmower.
This generator has a multi-meter display that indicates the hours that helps to schedule maintenance routine. It provides power at 12 Volts with DC socket and 120 volts to 240 volts with AC sockets. You can run a water pump, fridge, and other heavy appliances with this machine easily.
WEN DF1100T Dual Features:
- Its 457cc OHV engine produces 7500 watts running power and 11000 watts starting power in 3600 RPM; sufficient for small house power backup.
- The multimeter display shows the lifetime hours that helps to set maintenance time.
- You can run up to 8.5 hours and 3 hours with 6.6 gallons of gasoline or 20 lbs of propane respectively.
- For safety, it protects your devices from power overload, short circuits, and many unexpected accidents.
- It has a control panel that has all outlets, ES switch, fuel transfer switch and circuit breakers to protect the engine from damage.
5. A-iPower SUA12000E Gasoline Powered Generator
The A-iPower SUA12000E Generator has a 459cc engine that produces 12000 watts starting and 9000 watts running watts power with gasoline. You’ll get a 14000mAh maintenance-free battery gasoline generator for home that supplies emergency power if fuel is finished. Its 9.5 inches wheel makes it easy to move in a rough area and does heavy-duty tasks without effort. You can start with the one-touch electric start button and pull start mechanism.
It makes 78 dB of noise which is fair for a generator that can run 4 to 5 power tools. The fuel tank holds 7 gallons of gasoline that run the engine for up to 9 hours at 50% load. It has a light indicator and fuel gauge that indicates the fuel level to ensure engine safety.
You’ll get 6 AC outlets and a DC outlet with this generator to power up multiple devices at a time. All the outlets are GFCI certified, which refers to the device’s standability in a damp condition. It provides instant power backup during an outage with the transfer switch. It has DC plugs that provide charge to cell phones, laptops, and lights. The cords are protected with covers that provide neat current flow and avoids leakage.
A-iPower SUA12000E Features:
- It has a 459cc 4 stroke engine that produces 12000W starting power and 9000W running power; perfect for running 5 power tools.
- You’ll get 6 GFCI protected AC outlets and a DC outlet to charge up many devices at the same time.
- The steel designed fuel tank can hold 7 gallons that run the engine for 9 hours at 50% load.
- There is a control panel with a digital meter that shows the runtime hours and equipped with all outlets.
- It protects the devices from power overload, short circuits, overheating, and unexpected accidents.
What To Consider Before Buying A 50 Amp Generator?
In the present market, you can find out lots of 50 Amp generator. You should consider these factors before buying your next 50-Amp generator to ease the task and save time as well:
Powering up your generator depends on the use you intend to make out of it. Low power would put the engine under damage and too high power would lead to heavy consumption. 50 amp generators on the market designed for domestic and outside use usually come in a range between 7000 to 13000 watts, which is considered precisely the best for this type of use.
Dual type fuel generators are widely used around the world. You can find out Gasoline and propane anywhere. If you are looking for a whole house generator, you should be looking at gas. When gas is going over, you can switch propane to run the generator. So, choose a dual fuel system that will save time.
You have to take a look at the noise level of the generator. In order to get an idea about the noise of a generator, you need to measure the decibel level. It’s not possible to measure the noise level without a decibel calculation machine. So, you should check the manual and patent of the generator to see the dB amount. The quieter ones are around 60 to 78 dB.
Fuel tank and efficiency:
Everyone wants a generator that has a large fuel tank and saves fuel as well. A large tank of fuel can go for a long time. Most of the 50 amp generator can hold 5 to 8 gallons of gas that runs 7 to 15 hours at a 25% to 50% load. Some generators have an adjustable key to control engine speed that will save your fuel by reducing RPM speed too. However, keep in mind that a large fuel tank engine will be heavier to move around.
Most of the generator comes with a dual starting system: Electric start and pull start mechanisms. The electric start system works through the battery. If the battery’s damaged, the electric start would not work. Then, it would be best if you use a pull starter with a recoil cord. So, choose the dual starting generator and charge the battery every 2/3 months.
50 Amp generators are heavier with a weight of more than 130 pounds, which is difficult to carry with hands. You may want a generator that has wheels and a handle for convenience. In some cases, wheels have to be bought separately. You can install the wheels and add the handle within a few minutes.
Note: You will have the best output from your generator when you choose the right one for you, Follow this article to know in-depth about it: how to choose a generator.
Why Should You Buy A 50 Amp Generator?
For several reasons, you should buy the best 50 Amp generator to get a power backup during outages and blackouts. The reasons are:
- A 50 Amp generator produces 12000+ watts that will supply power backup in the whole house, fairs, events, and wherever power backup is needed. Also, it allows you to recharge the batteries when you do not have access to electricity or the power supply is exhausted.
- In case of outage or blackouts, it is good to have an emergency power supply, especially if the power outages last longer than a few hours. Having a 50 Amp generator can help to keep food in the refrigerator from failing and power up a radio to listen to updates on the power outage.
- All 50 Amp generators have low noise levels and run almost silently. It allows for a quiet environment during work, especially if you need energy in a public place where there are many people.
Having a 50 Amp generator can be extremely useful in many situations. Choose any one from the list reviewed above that will suitable for your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here in this section, we put the answer to some of the most asking questions about 50 amps generators:
How many watts is a 50 amp generator?
Can you run a 50 amp RV on 30 amp generator?
Can I plug my 50 amp RV into my house?
Can 10 gauge wire handle 50 amps?
Is it possible to plug a 30 amp RV into a 50 amp plug safely?
Having a 50 amp generator has many advantages. It’s mostly common for long-time usages like camping, parties, events, and home as emergency energy during outage and blackouts. I hope, you’ve found the best 50 amp generator from the list we compiled above for your next adventure. However, if you’re still confused and need an expert suggestion, I suggest you get the DuroMax XP12000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator.
This beast generator comes with DuroMax MX2 technology for efficient power delivery with dual-fuel operation. You’ll get 9500 running watts and 12500 starting watts from it which is plenty for small home, professional works, and many more. Besides, you can use heavy appliances such as air conditioners, fridges, microwaves, and power tools simultaneously.