Portable propane generators are popular as the best option to guarantee access to uninterrupted electricity. They’re great to backup natural phenomena such as storms, hurricanes, earthquakes, or powerline failures that have a power cut. As other fuels become hard to reach in such situations, propane becomes the way out as it’s easier to handle.
While getting the best portable propane generator becomes much harder because of numerous considerations, our expert team has a solution. We’ve done the research and came up with the best propane generators that money can buy. Stick to the article, you’re about to witness your next energy source while you’re off the grid with no hope but the generator!
Table of Content:
Here is a navigation list to get you through the full article; click on the link to jump into that section:
- Top 5 Best Portable Propane Generator Reviews 2020
- 1. Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator
- 2. Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator
- 3. All Power America APGG10000GL 10000 Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator
- 4. Duromax XP5500EH Dual Fuel 5500 Watt Electric Start Portable Generator
- 5. Rainier R4400DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator with Electric Start
- What To Consider Before Buying A Portable Propane Generator?
Are Propane Generators Better Than Gas?
Although propane is less powerful than gasoline, it keeps the inside of a generator clean as well as the environment. It also burns completely without producing toxins into the atmosphere and leaving carbon inside the generator.
Keeping gas in a house is a risky job while propane is a less polluting and risk-free gas. While natural disasters can block the gas station, propane can be stored or bought in cylinders. So, propane generators are way better than gasoline generators when emergencies and safety are considered.
Talking about safety, knowing about inverter generator vs. regular generator is also necessary.
If you want to acquire the best portable propane generator, we recommend you look at each of the products we have selected for you. So, you can make a comparison between several models and decide which one fits your needs perfectly.
Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator
Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator
All Power America APGG10000GL 10000 Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator
Duromax XP5500EH Dual Fuel 5500 Watt Electric Start Portable Generator
Rainier R4400DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator
Top 5 Best Portable Propane Generator Reviews 2020
All propane generators are not the same at efficiency and user-friendliness. So, it would be better if you had a specialized portable propane generator. Here, we have highlighted the 5 best portable propane generators that will provide continuous power:
1. Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator
Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator comes with a 6.6-gallon fuel tank, which runs up to 17.5 hours. It has two 5V USB ports ideal for plugging two equipment or devices at the same time. You can start the generator from 100 meters away with a smart remote start key and electric start push button. It can connect refrigerator, water pump, air conditioner, and other heavy-duty electronics with its 457cc engine.
It comes with 4-stroke gasoline and a propane engine with an overhead valve. You get a rated power of 9500W and a peak power of 12500W for gasoline and rated power 8550W to peak power 11200W for propane. It automatically shut down when the oil level becomes too low. Also, it has a fuel gauge that indicates the fuel level. You can easily monitor volts, hours, the frequency with small LED digital displays, and adjust the values.
The generator has a 120V transfer switch that allows to power home appliances when an emergency happens. You can switch from propane to gasoline on the fly without stopping. The generator’s outlets are covered by rubber to ensure safety. Also, it comes with an oil funnel, a tool kit, 12 V battery charger, remote, and oil, which makes it more convenient.
Champion 3400-Watt Features:
- The generator has a 6.6-gallon fuel tank, which works up to 17.5 hrs for a prolonged operation.
- It has a 4-stroke 457cc overhead valve engine that produces a rated power of 8550W and peak power of 11200W.
- With its two 5V USB ports, you can connect multiple devices at the same time.
- There is a digital LED display that shows the voltage levels, frequency, and how long it runs.
- You’ll an ES push button and a smart remote that helps you to start the generator from 100 meters away.
2. Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator
The Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV-Ready Portable Inverter Generator has a 3 piston ignition switch to start it electricity. It works with both gasoline and propane as a dual fuel system. Also, it has a quick touch panel that allows controlling the full system efficiently. The generator produces 3400W power that helps to operate all the appliances in your home.
The generator’s noise level is very low. It makes 59 dBA noise at 23 feet, and the frequency level is 60 Hz. You get a 120V 30A and a 20A outlet, which distracted less than 3 percent total harmony. Also, it has two 12V USB adapters that help to connect multiple devices. Its weight is about 99lbs with wheels and handles so that you can take and use it home or anywhere.
It is a 4 stroke single-cylinder engine that has a quick air cooling system. When the fuel level becomes low, it will automatically turn off. The dual starting system consisting of electric start and recoil start can start the engine if the battery doesn’t work. Its cast-iron sleeve provides durability and makes it last longer. You can sue it up to 7.5 hours on gasoline and 14.5 hours for propane.
Champion 3400-Watt Features:
- This generator produces a rated power of 3060W and peak power of 3400W to operate heavy appliances.
- It has a dual fuel system, gasoline, and propane, which can be changed live if needed.
- The fuel 20lb fuel tank helps to run the engine up to 7.5 hours with gas and 14.5 hours with propane.
- It has a smart touch start system and push-button, which helps to start the generator quickly, even without the battery.
- You’ll find its noise level very low and the quick touch panel helps to control the functions.
3. All Power America APGG10000GL 10000 Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator
This 10000 Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator from All Power America works with a dual fuel system: Gasoline and Propane. It produces 10000W peak power, 8000W rated power with gasoline and 8500W peak power, and 7000W rated power with propane. You’ll get an electric start system that works with a maintenance-free battery. Besides, its two flat wheels make it easy to move anywhere as needed.
It has a large tank that can hold 8 gallons of gasoline or 20 lbs of propane. It has a 15 HP 420cc overhead valve engine that runs about 11 hours with a 50% load. With the full load, the generator can supply power for a long time as well. It takes only 76 dB noise, which is easily tolerable for us. Also, it has an hour meter, which indicates the running time of the generator.
It has 4 AC duplex 120V outlets, which is perfect for fridges, microwaves, dishwashers, etc. Also, it has a 120V and 120/240V twist-lock outlet that is suitable for RV’s project. The generator has an anti-corrosive coating and makes it last longer. You can use it anywhere, such as construction sites, campsites, fields, and more.
All Power America Features:
- It has a rated power of 7000 watts and a peak power of 8500 watts with propane. Plus, rated power of 8000 watts and peak power of 10000 watts with gasoline fuel.
- Its 8 gallons gas or 20lb propane fuel tank supply continuous power for 11 hours at 50% load.
- You’ll get 6 outlets onboard that’ll help you connect multiple devices at the same time.
- There’s an hour meter that indicates the running time of the generator.
- It has wheels that can move it anywhere, such as construction sites, fields, and more.
4. Duromax XP5500EH Dual Fuel 5500 Watt Electric Start Portable Generator
Duromax XP5500EH comes with Duromax MX2 technology that provides 120/240V power output with its 7.5 HP 225cc engine. It has a simple electric starting system that works with the battery. Also, it provides 5500-watt peak power, and 4500 watts rated power using gasoline or propane. With it, you can run home appliances such as fridges, microwaves, dishwashers, air conditioners, etc. You can also use it on job sites to get plenty of power.
The generator has a recoil starting system that helps you when the battery doesn’t work. It has a low noise level of only 69 dB which is fairly tolerable in a crowded place. You can use up to 3.9 gallons of gasoline in the fuel tank or 20 lbs propane with it. The running time of the engine is about 9 hours with a 50 percent load. It is not perfect for low electronic devices for its high-level THD (less than 12%).
Furthermore, the generator has a fuel gauge that allows you to check the fuel level and the indicator shows the low oil level. It has an advanced control panel with 3 different outlets, a voltmeter, engine start switch located to control easily. When fuel level becomes low, and overload happens, it shuts down automatically. You will get a hose, funnel and tool kit with this EPA approved generator.
Duromax XP5500EH Features:
- The generator comes with DuroMax MX2 technology that ensures maximum power of 5500 watts.
- You can use it for about 9 hours with 3.9 gallons gas or 20 lbs propane on a 50 percent load.
- It creates 69 dB noise when started to use, which is less than a vacuum cleaner.
- The windings are built with copper materials that increase the durability of the generator.
- It has a 7.5 HP engine which provides rated power 4500 and peak power 5500 using gas or propane.
5. Rainier R4400DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator with Electric Start
Rainier R4400DF Dual Fuel generator comes with a 212cc Overhead valve engine which offers 120V power. It provides a rated power of 3600 watts, peak power of 4400 watts with gasoline. For propane, it has a rated power of 3300 watts and peak power of 4000 watts. You can start it with the electric or recoil starter which makes it a versatile machine. The power switch has one-touch technology, and the recoil start uses back-up technology.
It runs on either 4 gallons of gasoline or 20 lbs of propane. The run time is up to 18 hours on gasoline or 11 hours on propane at 25% load. However, it’s sensitive to low electronic devices with a THD level of less than 23%. Also, it has 4 AC outlets to use multiple devices at a time. You can use it in outdoor tasks and tough situations at outdoor activities.
The generator has a VFT meter that shows the voltage levels, frequency levels, and hours. When you start the engine, it makes only 65 dBA noise, which is pretty tolerable. It has 8 inches wheel and a foldable handle, which helps to move it anywhere. You can check the fuel level with its fuel gauge and control everything with its all in one control panel. The generator automatically shuts down when the fuel level running low to keep the safety level up.
Rainier R4400DF Features:
- This generator has a VFT display, which indicates the volts, frequency, and how long it runs.
- There are two 8-inches wheels and a foldable handle for easy movement and transportation.
- It provides rated power 3300W, peak power 4000W with propane and rated power 3600W, peak power 4400W with gasoline.
- You’ll get a one-touch power on-off switch, which makes the generator versatile, and you can use recoil start if the battery doesn’t work.
- It can hold 4 gallons of gasoline or 20 lbs propane, which runs 18 hours with gas or 11 hours with propane on 25% load.
What To Consider Before Buying A Portable Propane Generator?
If you are planning outdoor camping, you need a generator that supplies the energy necessary. It’ll power your computer, mini-fridge, sound equipment, lights, fan, etc. Therefore, it’s necessary to pick the right generator, and picking the right one isn’t an easy job. The best way is to consider some factors before buying a portable propane generator; here are some:
Type of the generator:
The first consideration when choosing your propane generator is the type of operation. See which fuel it takes to run; dual fuel is the best bet if you need versatility. You must select the machine that meets your energy requirements optimally and efficiently.
There is also a wide variety of powers available. Check the amount of current and voltage it generates. It’s important to check if it meets your needs. Remember, the type of electrical equipment you are going to use with your generator may vary depending on the power it generates. In any comparison of propane generators, the aspect of power plays a vital role in your choice.
To calculate the power required to power a group of devices or equipment, you must add their powers first. Note the generator’s starting peak power and rated power. It would be best if you chose a generator that produces the amount that you need.
Another factor to consider while choosing a new propane generator is the noise level it produces while operating. It depends on the engine and the chassis construction. High pitched noise can be very uncomfortable for nearby people. We listed a variety of propane generators, among which some have a soundproofing system that allows working with a noise level ranging from 50 to 60 decibels.
Starting could be both manual and automatic. Some models give you the possibility to start the generator remotely thanks to a special starting system. Automatic starts work with electricity, which comes from the battery, and manual starts work with recoil, which is used if the battery is not working. So, a propane engine must have both of the starting systems.
Note: People often confuse between inverters and generators while choosing one for home use. If you want to know an inverter or generator which is best for home use, get this article a read.
Why Should You Buy A Portable Propane Generator?
Here are some highlights of the essential advantages of having a propane generator in your home:
- Guaranteed electricity supply – Propane generators can produce electricity in a consistent manner. A failure in the central electrical system won’t bother as you can have electricity supply for your daily activities.
- Prevent damage – With a propane generator, you can avoid the losses that a power cut in a business entails. It automatically shut down when the fuel level is low. Also, you can see a smart switch system in portable propane generators that will help to turn off from 80 to 100 meters away. The Uninterrupted power supply can save electronics appliances from short circuit damage.
- Greater security – Running out of electricity can be a risk for specific sectors and also in homes with children. So, buying a propane generator will obtain more excellent protection.
- Save money – Propane generators provide power supply longer than diesel or gasoline generators. For example, 20lb propane supply electricity for 14.5 hours where gasoline supply electricity for 8 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to the most frequently asked questions from our readers and visitors we got over time:
Are propane generators noisy?
Is propane generator quieter than gas?
Can a propane portable generator run on natural gas?
Can propane generator run indoors?
How many hours will a generator run on propane?
Going out or a natural disaster shouldn’t be out of electricity if you have a generator that can back you up for long. A propane generator is simply the best option for a highly powerful, yet clean energy source. I hope, finding the best portable propane generator after reading this article was an easy job for you.
If you want an expert suggestion for the best overall generator, I can suggest you get the Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator. You can start it from 100 meters away with a remote switch and use in-home, outdoors, construction sites, etc. It produces 8500 to 12500-watt power using gas or propane fuel and lasts for 17.5 hours with 6.6-gallon fuel.