Portable propane generators have emerged as the best option to guarantee access to electricity at all times. Natural phenomena such as storms, hurricanes or earthquakes, as well as accidents or failures in the power lines, can cause a cut in the primary power grid. On these occasions, having portable propane generators for home use is very necessary. With its energy, you can continue with daily lives and cover basic needs such as cooking, heating water to shower or keeping the heating or air conditioning on.
After a long time of research, we have found 5 best portable propane generators that will meet your demands. The most efficient portable generators can supply continuous power anytime using gas or propane fuel.
Table of Content:
Here is the shortlist of the full article. If you are a quick reader, you can select the topics which you want.
- Top 5 Best Portable Propane Generator Reviews
- 1. Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator
- 2. Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator
- 3. All Power America APGG10000GL 10000 Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator
- 4. Duromax XP5500EH Dual Fuel 5500 Watt Electric Start Portable Generator
- 5. Rainier R4400DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator with Electric Start
- What To Consider Before Buying A Portable Propane Generator?
Are Propane Generators Better Than Gas?
Propane is less powerful than gasoline. But, propane keeps clean the inside of a generator. Also, it is safe for our environment. Gas cannot burn completely, so it produces toxins into the atmosphere and leave carbon inside the generator. Keeping gas in a house is a risky job. Propane is considered a less polluting and risk-free gas. Now a day, both gases are easily accessible in pumps and fuel shops. So, propane generators are better than gasoline generator.
In the section, we have targeted the advantage of a propane generator. If you want to know more about the inverter generator vs regular generator, you can read this article.
If you want to acquire the best portable propane generator, we recommend you look at each of the products we have selected for you. So, you can make a comparison between several models and decide which one fits your needs perfectly.
Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator
Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator
All Power America APGG10000GL 10000 Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator
Duromax XP5500EH Dual Fuel 5500 Watt Electric Start Portable Generator
Rainier R4400DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator
Top 5 Best Portable Propane Generator Reviews
All propane generators are not efficient and user-friendly. So, it would be best if you had a specialized portable propane generator. Here, we have highlighted the 5 best portable propane generators that will provide continuous power.
Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator comes with a 6.6-gallon fuel tank, which runs up to 17.5 hours. It has two 5V USB ports ideal for plugging two equipment or devices at the same time. You can start the generator from 10o meters away with a smart remote start key and electric start push button. You can connect refrigerator, water pump, air conditioner and other heavy-duty electronics with its 457cc engine.
It is equipped with 4-stroke gasoline and propane engine with overhead valve and rated power 9500W to peak power 12500W for gasoline and rated power 8550W to peak power 11200W for propane. It automatically shut down when the oil level becomes low. Also, it has a fuel gauge that indicates the fuel level. You can easily observe volts, hours, the frequency with small LED digital displays and adjust the values.
The generator has a 120V transfer switch that allows to power home appliances when an emergency needs them. You can switch from propane to gasoline on the fly when needed. The generator’s outlets are covered by rubber to ensure safety. Also, it comes with an oil funnel, a tool kit, 12 V battery charger, remote and oil, which makes it more convenient.
Champion 3400-Watt Features:
- The generator has a 6.6-gallon fuel tank, which works up to 17.5 hrs, which allows it to have a prolonged operation.
- It has a 4-stroke 457cc overhead valve engine that produces rated power 8550W to peak power 11200W.
- With two 5V USB ports, you can connect multiple devices at the same time.
- It has a digital LED display that shows the voltage levels, frequency and how long it runs.
- It has an ES push button and a smart remote that helps to start the generator from 100 meters away.
Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator comes with 3 piston ignition switch, which helps to start the generator with electricity. It works with gasoline and propane dual fuel systems. Also, it has a quick touch panel that allows controlling the full system easily. The generator produces 3400W power that helps to operate all the appliances in your home.
The generator’s noise level is very low. It makes 59 dBA noise at 23 feet and the frequency level is 60 Hz. It has 120V 30A and 20A outlets, which distracted less than 3 percent total harmony. Also, its 12V has two USB adapter that helps to connect multiple devices. Its weight is about 99lb so that you can use it at home, workplaces and playing ground.
It is 4 stroke single-cylinder engine that has a quick air cooling system. When the fuel level becomes low, it will automatically turn off. It has a dual starting system: Electric start and recoil start, which can start the engine if the battery doesn’t work. Its cast iron sleeve provides durability and makes it last longer. You can sue it up to 7.5 hours on gasoline and 14.5 hours for propane.
Champion 3400-Watt Features:
- It produces rated power 3060W and peak power 3400W that helps to operate heavy home appliances.
- It has dual fuel system gasoline and propane, which can be changed if need.
- Its 20lb fuel tank helps to run the engine up to 7.5 hours with gas and 14.5 hours with propane.
- It has a smart touch start system and push-button, which helps to start the generator quickly.
- Its noise level is very low and a quick touch panel helps to control the functions.
All Power America APGG10000GL 10000 Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator works with dual fuel system: Gasoline and Propane. It produces 10000W peak power, 8000W rated power with gasoline and 8500W peak power and 7000W rated power with propane. It has an electric start system that works with a maintenance-free battery. Its two flat wheels make it easy to move anywhere as need.
The generator has a large tank that can hold 8-gallon gasoline or 20lb propane. It has a 15 HP 420cc overhead valve engine that runs about 11 hours with 50 percent load. With the full load, the generator can supply power for a long time. It makes 76 dB noise, which is tolerable for us. Also, it has an hour meter, which indicates the running time of the generator.
It has 4 AC duplex 120V outlets, which is perfect for fridges, microwaves, dishwashers, etc. Also, it has a 120V and 120/240V twist-lock outlet that is suitable for RV’s project. The generator has an anti-corrosive coating and makes it last longer. You can use it anywhere, such as construction sites, campsites, fields and more.
All Power America Features:
- It has rated power 7000 watts, peak power 8500 watts in propane and rated power 8000 watts, peak power 10000 watts in gasoline fuel.
- With 50% load, its 8 gallons gas or 20lb propane fuel tank supply continuous power for 11 hours.
- It has 6 outlets that help to connect multiple devices at a time.
- Its hour meter indicates the running time of the generator that helps to understand the condition.
- It has a flat wheel that can move it anywhere, such as construction sites, fields and more.
Duromax XP5500EH comes with Duromax MX2 technology that provides 120/240V power output. It has a simple electric starting system that works with the battery. Also, it is designed to provide 5500-watt peak power and 4500 watts rated power using gasoline or propane. It is perfect for home appliances such as fridges, microwaves, dishwashers, air conditioners, etc. You can use it in job sites to get plenty of power.
The generator has a recoil starting system and it helps you when the battery fails to work. It makes 69 dB noise, which is less than a music sound. You can fill 3.9 gallons of gasoline or 20 lbs propane in the fuel tank, which can run the engine about 9 hours with a 50 percent load. It is not perfect for low electronic devices for its high-level THD (less than 12%). It is a 7.5 HP 225cc engine, which is powerful enough for your daily usage.
The generator has a fuel gauge that allows checking the fuel level and the indicator shows the low oil level. It has an advanced control panel, where 3 different outlets, voltmeter, engine start switch located to control easily. When fuel level becomes low and overload happens, it shut down automatically. You will get a hose, funnel and tool kit with the EPA approved generator.
Duromax XP5500EH Features:
- The generator comes with DuroMax MX2 technology that ensures maximum power of 5500 watt.
- It works about 9 hours with 3.9 gallons gas or 20 lbs propane on 50 percent load.
- It creates 69 dB noise when started to use, which is less than background music.
- Its internet windings are built with copper materials that increase the durability of the generator.
- It has a 7.5 HP engine which provides rated power 4500 and peak power 5500 using gas or propane.
Rainier R4400DF Dual Fuel generator comes with a 212cc Overhead valve engine which offers 120V power. It provides rated power 3600 watts, peak power 4400 watts with gasoline and rated power 3300 watts, peak power 4000 watts with propane fuel. You can start with an electric and recoil starter, which is versatile and elegant. The power switch has one-touch technology and recoil start uses back-up technology.
It allows you to fill up with 4 gallons gasoline or 20 lbs propane, which can run up to 18 hours on gasoline or 11 hours on propane with a 25 percent load. It is very sensitive for low electronic devices due to it’s less than 23 percent THD. Also, it has 4 AC outlets to use multiple devices at a time. You can use it in outdoor tasks and tough situations of the environment.
The generator has a VFT meter that shows the voltage levels, frequency levels and hours. When you start the engine, it makes 65 dBA noise, which is lower than a normal voice. It has 8 inches wheel and a folding handle, which helps to move it anywhere. You can check the fuel level with its fuel gauge and control everything with its all in one control panel. The generator automatically shuts down when fuel level running low that brings peace in mind while using.
Rainier R4400DF Features:
- It has a VFT display which indicates the volts, frequency and how long it runs.
- Its two 8 inches wheel and a foldable handle make it easy to move anywhere.
- It provides rated power 3300W, peak power 4000W with propane and rated power 3600W, peak power 4400W with gasoline fuel.
- It has a one-touch power on-off switch, which makes the generator versatile and you can use recoil start if the battery doesn’t work.
- It can hold 4 gallons gasoline or 20 lbs propane, which runs 18 hours with gas or 11 hours with propane on 25% load.
What To Consider Before Buying A Portable Propane Generator?
If you are planning an outing to the field, you will need a generator that supplies the energy necessary for them to function efficiently to power your computer, mini-fridge, sound equipment, etc. So, you should consider some factors before buying a portable propane generator. That is why we have developed a small guide to buying the best portable propane generator so that you can choose the model that best suits your needs.
Type of generator:
One of the first aspects that you should consider when choosing your propane generator is the type of operation and energy. Also, check the amount of current and voltage it generates. You must select the equipment that meets your energy requirements optimally and efficiently.
There is also a wide variety of powers available. So, it is important to look carefully at this aspect according to your needs. Remember that the type and quantity of electrical equipment that you are going to use with your propane generator may vary depending on the power it generates. In any comparison of propane generators, the aspect of power plays a very important role in your choice.
It is necessary to choose a model based on your needs. To calculate the power required to power a group of devices or equipment, you must add their powers first. Note the generator’s starting peak power and rated power. It would be best if you chose a generator that produces the amount that you need.
Another of the most relevant factors when choosing a new propane generator is the noise level that the device produces when it is in operation. It depends on the engine and the chassis. High pitched noise can be very uncomfortable for people who are nearby.
Here we listed a variety of propane generators, among which some have a soundproofing system that allows working with a noise level ranging from 50 to 60 decibels.
Starting could be both manual and automatic. Some models give you the possibility to start the generator remotely thanks to a special starting system. Automatic starts work with electricity, which comes from the battery and manual starts work with recoil, which used if the battery is not working. So, a propane engine must have both of the starting systems.
Note: Here, we have discussed the factors for buying a propane generator. If you want to know more about the inverter or generator which is best for home use, read this article.
Why Should You Buy A Portable Propane Generator?
For many reasons, you should buy the most efficient portable generator. Here, I would like to highlight the essential advantages of having a generator in your home.
- Guaranteed electricity supply – Propane generators can produce electricity at any time and in a consistent manner. If there has been a failure in the central electrical system, you will continue to have electricity supply and complete your daily activities.
- Prevent damage – With a propane generator, you can avoid the losses that a power cut in a business entails. It automatically shut down when the fuel level is low. Also, you can see a smart switch system in portable propane generators that will help to turn off from 80 to 100 meters away. The Uninterrupted power supply can save electronics appliances from short circuit damage.
- Greater security – Running out of electricity can be a risk for specific sectors and also in homes with children. So, buying a propane generator will obtain more excellent protection.
- Save money – Propane generators provide power supply longer than diesel or gasoline generators. For example, 20lb propane supply electricity for 14.5 hours where gasoline supply electricity for 8 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Here is the answer to your questions that you frequently ask us.
Are propane generators noisy?
No. Propane generators make 55 to 70 dBA noise, which is lower than a vacuum cleaner and background music.
Is propane generator quieter than gas?
Yes. Propane is known as clean-burning and non-toxic fuel. It burns out completely inside the generator and doesn’t leave any substances. So, propane generators are quieter than gasoline generator.
Can a propane portable generator run on natural gas?
Yes. Using a transfer switch, one can easily use gas on a portable propane generator.
Can propane generator run indoors?
A Propane generator doesn’t produce toxic elements when it is running. But, I would recommend not using a propane generator indoors.
How many hours will a generator run on propane?
Generally, 2-2.5 gallon propane last for an hour. A 1000 gallon propane tank will last about 13 to 15 days.
If you are planning a trip to the mountain and you need to take some electronic devices for your trip. In the trunk of your car or minibus, you should not miss a propane generator that allows you to power a computer, mobile, tablet or even a small fridge or a portable TV. Finding the most efficient portable generator is not an easy job. So, we reviewed 5 best portable propane generators that can be used at home and outdoor.
Among them, I would like to recommend Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator, which can be started from 100 meters away. It is perfect for home use, campsites, construction sites and outdoors. Also, it can produce 8500 to 12500 watt power using gas or propane fuel and last for 17.5 hours with 6.6 gallon fuel.