With power outages occurring very frequently these days, having a generator has become a necessity. It can provide you with electrical power. Not only you can use them as a backup during blackouts, but also when camping or traveling with an RV. Standard generators have been proven very useful these days—most of them are portable generators that you can easily carry around.
The problem? Most of the time, you’ll get a noisy generator that makes constant noise the entire time you’re using it. The good news is that you can now buy quiet generators. They create very minimal noise, you wouldn’t even notice it. The quietest generators are the best kind of backup power you’ll want if you’re living in a tight neighborhood or if you want to give your family a goodnight’s sleep during power shortages.
In this guide, we’ve listed the best quiet generators out there. We also outlined what to look for in the best super quiet generators. Read on:
- When Buying the Best Super Quiet Generator
- Our Top Picks of the Best Super Quiet Generators
- 1. DuroMax XP13000EH
- 2. WEN 56380i
- 3. DuroMax XP2300iH
- 4. Generac 7127 iQ3500
- 5. Generac 7676 GP8000E
- 6. Champion Power Equipment 200954
When Buying the Best Super Quiet Generator
Several factors come into play when selecting the best quiet generator. You’ll want a generator that can provide you with your power needs. An energy-efficient generator is a good option. Nevertheless, you want to make sure that the generator can actually deliver enough power, has low noise, and is portable.
Your generator should be able to provide you with enough energy to power up your equipment. Of course, this will depend on where you would use your generator.
This being said, it’s always important to consider the wattage of the generator. Generators come in various wattage ratings. Typically, the higher the wattage rating, the higher the power capacity is.
Generators with higher wattages usually mean they are larger and more expensive. Quiet generators, however, are compact and portable and are able to provide moderate power output for small devices.
If you want a generator for camping or job site use, you’d want a generator with a 1,000 to 1,600-watt range. For home backup, you will need a generator with a minimum of 2,000 watts. Such generators can run large refrigerators, ovens, and other home appliances. If you want to run your appliances concurrently, consider generators with more than 3,000 watts of power capacity.
Each electrical device has a label with its watts rating. Checking them may help you when deciding which generator to purchase.
Fuel Tank Capacity, Fuel Efficiency, and Fuel Type
A quiet power generator typically feeds on gasoline as a fuel source, while a dual fuel generator uses propane. Having these options is advantageous on your end, as it allows you to select the fuel depending on your needs, the fuel availability in your area, or the type of fuel you currently have on hand.
Portable inverter generators typically have a fuel tank capacity from 2 gallons to over 10 gallons. Normally, the more capacity it can store, the larger the fuel tank is. And that also means the bulkier the generator is. That being said, compact and portable generators usually have low to average fuel tank capacity.
For conventional generators that use propane, the fuel tank capacity is not much of an issue as propane gas is stored in canisters under pressure. It is attached to the generator using a hose and a pressure regulator for direct fuel consumption.
Size and Weight
When shopping for an inverter generator, it’s also important to consider its size and weight. As mentioned above, the fuel capacity could affect the size of the inverter generator. Typically, the higher the fuel capacity is, the larger the tank is.
Since this equipment is meant to provide where you need it, portable inverter generators are usually designed with a convenient handle for portability. Modern generators nowadays are typically lightweight and compact.
Some portable generators are heavier, weighing over a hundred pounds, and are usually able to provide power to mid-sized single home units. Most of them come with wheel kits for portability.
If you intend to have backup power for an entire establishment, you might need industrial generators. Industrial generators are designed to ensure maximum performance as a backup that automatically operates when the electrical power grid fails.
Generally, an inverter generator that produces over 80 dB (decibels of noise) is considered loud. Silent generators, on the other hand, typically produce less than 60 dB noise levels. To better understand the noise output, consider these noise levels of common everyday sounds:
- Soft whisper: 30 dB
- Refrigerator hum: 40 dB
- Air conditioner: 60 dB
- Normal conversation: 60 dB
- Washing machine: 70 dB
- Hairdryer: 80 dB
Probably one of the best things about the best super quiet generators is that they normally come with sensors that detect how much power they need to produce, then control it down for smaller loads and produce lower noise levels. Your neighbors will appreciate it if you use a quiet inverter generator instead of a noisy, open-framed generator with a high sound level.
Generators with minimal noise are also essential in reducing noise pollution. If you didn’t already know, noise pollution can cause stress-related illnesses, hearing loss, lost productivity, sleep disruption, high blood pressure, speech interference, and so much more.
Our Top Picks of the Best Super Quiet Generators
We scoured the market and searched for the best quietest generators out there. We listed their specifications, additional practical features, as well as their pros and cons to help you make an educated decision when buying an inverter generator.
- POWERFUL DUROMAX ENGINE: The XP13000EH is powered by a 500cc OHV Duromax Engine. Engine Speed-3600 RPM. Wheel Diameter-10-Inches
- DUAL FUEL TECHNOLOGY: The ability to run on Propane or Gasoline allows the Freedom and Flexibility of Fuel Choice.
- PLENTY OF POWER: With 13,000 starting watts and 10,500 watts, this unit can handle heavy loads from lights, refrigerators, home conditioners and high amperage power tools.
- MAXIMUM POWER: The power panel includes a wide selection of outlets for maximum compatibility in your applications including: 1 120/240V 50A heavy duty outlet, 1 120/240V 30A twist lock outlet, 1 120V 30A twist lock outlet, and 2 120V 20A household outlets.
- POWERING EVERYONE ANYWHERE: Like all DuroMax generators, the XP13000EH is EPA and CARB approved for use in all 50 states.
One of the best-selling portable generators out there is the DuroMax XP13000EH. Packed with advanced features, this dual fuel generator is the solution to your power needs. Powered by a 500cc OHV DuroMax Engine, this inverter generator provides plenty of power (up to 13,000 watts). Really, the DuroMax XP13000EH is an excellent choice for home and professional use.
Just how quiet is the DuroMax XP13000EH? It has a noise rating of 74 dBA, which is technically just slightly noisier than a shower! Plus, the operation is so quick and easy—thanks to the one-push-button start.
The DuroMax XP13000EH is a dual fuel inverter generator, which runs both on gas and propane. This gives you flexibility and the freedom of fuel choice.
|Technology:||Dual Fuel Technology|
|Running Wattage (gasoline):||10,500 watts|
|Peak wattage (gasoline):||13,000 watts|
|Running Watts (propane):||9,975 watts|
|Starting Watts (propane):||12,350 watts|
|Fuel Capacity:||8.3 gallons|
|Engine Displacement:||Powerful 500cc Engine|
|Quiet Operation:||74 decibels of noise|
|Outlet:||50 Amp Outlet|
|Operation:||Push Button Start|
|Multiple outlets:||1 x 120/240V 50A heavy duty outlet, 1 x 120/240V 30A twist lock, 1 x 120V 30A twist lock, 2x120V 20A household outlet|
|EPA and CARB compliant||Yes|
2. WEN 56380i
- Dimensions: 23.2" L x 18" W x 20.1" H | Weight: 99.2 lb
- EPA III and CARB Compliant
- 212cc 4-stroke OHV engine produces 3800 surge watts and 3400 rated watts with a half-load runtime of up to 8.5 hours
- Fuel shutoff maximizes the generator’s lifespan by using up the remaining fuel in the carburetor before shutting down
- Produces clean power to prevent damage to sensitive electronics such as smart phones, tablets and laptops
Another portable inverter generator to check out is the WEN 56380i. Whether it is for work or play, the WEN 56380i is the perfect choice for an extremely quiet operation. Powered by a 212cc 4-Stroke OHV engine, this device can produce 3,800 surge watts and 3,400 rated watts with a half-load runtime of up to 8.5 hours. Impressive? We know, right!
One feature that we really like about this portable inverter generator is the Fuel Shutoff, which minimizes the generator’s lifespan by using up the remaining fuel in the carburetor before shutting down. It also comes with multiple outlets to power up your appliances. It even comes with a USB port to charge your electronics, like smartphones, tablets, and laptops.
|Running Wattage:||3400 watts|
|Surge Wattage:||3800 watts|
|Digital wattage meter||Yes|
|Fuel tank size:||2.2 gallons|
|Noise Levels:||57 decibels of noise|
|Minimal harmonic distortion:||Yes|
|Eco Mode Switch||Yes|
|Manual Shut Off Switch||Yes|
|Multiple outlets:||2 x three-prong 120 V receptacles, 1 x AC 120V NEMA TT-304 RV receptacle, 1 x 12 volt DC, 1 x 5V USB Port|
- Power on the Go – With 2,300 peak watts and 1,800 running watts, this generator is perfect for camping, tailgating, or anywhere else you need portable power.
- Dual Fuel Technology – This generator runs on gasoline or propane giving you the freedom and flexibility of fuel choice.
- Inverter Technology – Provides clean, stable power for sensitive electronics including televisions and computers.
- Low Oil Shutoff – Protects your investment by automatically shutting the generator off when it senses that the oil is low.
- Digital Control Center – The Digital Control Center features an LCD display showing gas level, hours run, voltage output, and load level.
Another dual fuel portable generator from DuroMax is the XP2300iH model. Hands-down, this is one of the best dual fuel inverter generator with an impressive low-noise performance out there. This generator lets you use either gasoline and propane. This kind of flexibility really matters especially when you live in an area with limited fuel sources.
If running on gasoline, this generator provides a running wattage of 1,800 watts and a starting wattage of 2,300 watts. When using propane, it gives 1,700 rated watts and 2,150 starting watts.
Now, how quiet is the DuroMax XP2300iH? With a noise rating of 52 dBA, this quiet power generator is quieter than a human conversation. A generator with low noise levels like this is perfect for camping. It’s also an ideal equipment for home use as it won’t make loud noises that could disturb your neighbors.
|Technology:||Dual fuel portable generator|
|Starting Wattage (gasoline):||2,300 watts|
|Running Wattage (gasoline):||1,800 watts|
|Starting Wattage (propane):||2,150 watts|
|Running wattage (propane):||1,700 watts|
|CO Alert Technology||Yes|
|Fuel tank capacity:||1.1 gallon|
|Running time:||6.5 hours at 50% load|
|Noise levels:||52 dB of noise at 25% load|
|Multiple outlets:||1 x 120V 30A twist lock, 2 x 120V 20A standard outlet, 1 x USB A outlet, 1 x USB-C outlet|
|EPA-Approved and CARB compliant||Yes|
- ULTRA-QUIET – 40% Quieter than Honda* Advanced inverter technology and enclosure design provide optimal quiet performance (* Over 5 dB(A) quieter than the EU3000is, based on independent third-party testing)
- Ideal for work or play - durable steel enclosure, clean inverter power and easy portability make this the ideal generator for jobsites or recreational activities
- 16% more power than Honda, Featuring power rush advanced technology.Rated AC Frequency:60 Hz
- Digital smart lcd - digital wattage meter, run time remaining display, generator status, hour meter and fuel level
- USB ports - charge mobile devices including smartphones and tablets
Perhaps, the Generac 7127 iQ3500 is the quietest generator there is. In fact, it’s 40% quieter than Honda Advanced Inverter Technology. It’s all thanks to its enclosure design that provide optimal quiet performance. We’re talking about 65dBA, the same level as a human conversation.
The Generac 7127 iQ3500 is a very well-made machine. The construction is very durable and heavy-duty. Of course, a quality like this means it’s heavier. Also, the fuel consumption is not really very exceptional, but it’s leaning more towards average. On average, the consumption rate is about 5kWh per gallon, with a running time of up to 14 hours at 25% load.
The LCD in the control panel allows you to determine how much fuel you have left and how much longer it can operate. Turn on the Eco Mode to maximize the fuel consumption and help the engine produce only the needed power for the application in use.
|Noise feature:||Ultra Quiet Operation|
|Running Wattage:||3,000 watts|
|Starting Wattage:||3,500 watts|
|Fuel tank capacity:||2.6 gallons|
|Running time:||7 hours at 50% load|
|LCD:||Digital Smart LCD|
|Multiple outlets:||1 x 120V 20A 5-20R duplex outlet, 1 x 120V 30A twist lock, 2 x 5V DC 1A/2.1A USB outlets|
|POWERRUSH Advanced Technology||Yes|
- Featuring power Rush advanced technology – delivers over 30% more starting capacity allowing you to do more with less
- Dimensions: 27.2" W x 27" D x 26.5 H | Weight: 198 lb
- 10000 Starting Watts. 8000 Running Watts
- Electric start Model for easy operation (Battery included)
- Generac durable OHV engine with splash lubrication provides a long engine life
Whether it’s for your home, RV, camping trip, or anywhere else you need portable power, the Generac 7676 GP8000E is one heck of an exceptional generator today. It’s portable, powerful, and operates without making loud noises.
Equipped with POWERRUSH Advanced Technology, this generator can deliver over 30% more starting capacity than other brands. This allows you to do more without consuming a lot of fuel. The electric start makes it easy to operate, and the large-capacity fuel tank ensures you have enough power for up to 11 hours.
The outlets are covered, and the structure of this generator is very solid and sturdy, perfect for any environment. It also comes with a wheel kit, ensuring you get to maneuver this generator effortlessly.
|Starting Wattage:||10,000 watts|
|Running Wattage:||8,000 watts|
|Running Time:||10 hours at 50% load (up to 5 hours at full load)|
|Multiple outlets:||2 x 120V 20A duplex outlets, 1 x 120/240V 30A twist lock outlet|
- ADVANCED DESIGN: 50% quieter and 20% lighter than a traditional 4250-watt generator, plus Economy Mode saves fuel and extends engine life, and Intelligauge monitors voltage, frequency and operating hours
- QUIET TECHNOLOGY AND EXTENDED RUN TIME: 64 dBA is great for RVs, tailgating, your next project or home backup, with 4250 starting watts and 3500 running watts for up to 22 hours run time on gasoline
- CLEAN ELECTRICITY FOR SENSITIVE ELECTRONICS: RV Ready with a 120V 30A RV, plus two 120V 20A household outlets with clean power (less than 3% THD) plus two convenient USB ports
- PARALLEL READY: Increase your power output by connecting up to two 2800-watt or higher inverter or digital hybrid with the optional Parallel Kit (sold separately)
- CHAMPION SUPPORT: Includes 3-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts
When it comes to powerful, reliable, and durable generators, the Champion Power Equipment is a game player. It has created various high-quality generators that thousands of people talk positively about. One such generator is the 200954 model.
This generator is perfect for RV travelers who want to live off-grid, for homeowners who want to have a backup power supply during blackouts, and for camping and tailgating buffs who are looking into enhancing their experience.
Powered by Champion Power Equipment 200954’s 224cc OHV engine, this generator provides up to 4,250 peak wattage. You can even double it up because this generator is parallel-ready. Plus, it has a massive fuel tank capacity of up to 4 gallons, which allows you to run this equipment for up to 22 hours.
This open frame generator has three outlets: one Duplex 120V 20A, one 120V 30A (TT-30R; for RVs), and one DC outlet. There is also a 12V 8A cigarette lighter style receptacle that you can use to charge your batteries.
|Starting Wattage:||4,250 watts|
|Running Wattage:||3,500 watts|
|Fuel Tank Capacity:||4-gallon fuel tank|
|Engine Displacement:||224cc OHV, 4-Stroke|
|Noise Feature:||Quiet Technology|
|Running Time:||Up to 22 hours|
|Controls:||Quick Touch Panel|
|Multiple Outlets:||1 x 120V 30A RV Outlet, 2 x 120V 20A household outlets, 1 x 12V DC automotive|
|Low oil shuffle sensor||Yes|
|EPA-Approved and CARB Compliant||Yes|
And there you have it. Our list of the quietest portable generator on the market. Having a generator can be advantageous—it provides power when there is no electricity in your area. Your neighbors will also appreciate it if you use a quiet generator, instead of the conventional ones that make too much noise. You should also consider having a quiet generator especially when you’re off-grid or camping to avoid causing noise pollution. Aside from the noise levels, consider the fuel type and capacity of your generator. You’d want a generator that uses the type of fuel that is accessible to you. The power output capacity and running time are also critical factors to consider.
And there you have it. Our list of the quietest portable generator on the market. Having a generator can be advantageous—it provides power when there is no electricity in your area. Your neighbors will also appreciate it if you use a quiet generator, instead of the conventional ones that make too much noise. You should also consider having a quiet generator especially when you’re off-grid or camping to avoid causing noise pollution.
Aside from the noise levels, consider the fuel type and capacity of your generator. You’d want a generator that uses the type of fuel that is accessible to you. The power output capacity and running time are also critical factors to consider.