Are you in the region where you can’t tell when or how a storm will happen? Then, man, you have to install a generator for your home. Because when the storm hits, you can’t say for how long you will deal with the darkness with a candle and throwing out spoiled food from the refrigerator. It is a smart idea to use a generator as a backup source to end your struggle with darkness. There are different types of generators, and you will have to figure out which one will meet your requirements. Here we will help you with how to choose a generator. After reading it, you will be able to make the best decision.
How To Choose A Generator?
You can only get the best output when you choose the best product for you. To choose the perfect generator for you, at first, you have to estimate the power backup you will need then you can easily choose the right generator by measuring its output. Then you need to consider the time duration of power backup based on generator capacity. Always keep the location in your mind where you live, you can’t just randomly pick a generator and install; space and the site have to match.
Types of Generator:
The fact is, the generators are lifesaving devices. They work from the source of the power backup that comes from the fuel transformation. The generators usually use gasoline, diesel, propane and turn them into electrical energy. They are the main sources of electrical supply. For home and commercial uses, there are varieties of generators. Though they are different in design and power, all of them require special maintenance to guarantee long term use. Check the list of the types of generators and chose the one you need for home or commercial use.
- Diesel fuel generators:
With electricity and diesel fuel, the diesel generator works in power supply. This generator is popular for its less maintenance need, durability and capability of giving long time service. you will get highly efficient power at cheap cost from this generator, and there is no chance of facing an overheated generator for the use of this fuel.
- Natural gas generators:
There is no comparison to natural gas. If you have the option to use a natural gas generator, then don’t think about using another generator. The generator uses the liquified propane or petroleum to produce power. You will have endless power supply as the natural gas is storable and unlimited. This environment-friendly generator is recommendable for every purpose.
- Gasoline fuel generators:
As the gasoline fuel is available, the gasoline generator is common in every house and commercial use. For the portable size and low-cost running, maximum people take this generator for use. But this generator needs special care regular and creates noise while working.
- Standby generators:
A standby generator works with gas or diesel automatically, and it doesn’t need refuelling for 48 hours. This big generator has a strong engine, radiator, a fuel tank and alternator. Whenever the electricity goes out, the automatic transmission switch starts the power flow instantly. You will not sense the blackout for a second for this generator. Best for using in big construction sites, medical supports and elevators.
- Portable generators:
This generator uses gas or diesel to produce electricity for a short-term time. You can use this generator to power your home appliances smoothly. The use of the portable generator has two ways – one way is wiring in the sub-panel, and the other one is using the generator’s power sockets. If you face power cut for a short time in your area, then you can use this generator as a power backup.
- Solar generators:
You can use this generator that uses sunlight as a power source. Soler power is simple but powerful and can be stored easily. here the battery stores the power by charging and it needs to charge in sunlight for 8 hours.
- Inverter generator:
Among all the generators above, this generator is the quietest one. It works by alternating the AC power to DC power. The produced power is highly efficient and safe to run the electric gadgets in your house.
How Do You Determine What Size Generator You Need?
Size really matters when you are thinking of taking a generator. If you get an undersized generator that is not capable to power your equipment or a big generator that is totally a waste. So, you need one perfect generator but don’t know which or how to determine the size, calmly go through this generator size determining to help guide. Hope it helps:
- Calculating the load size:
At first, you have to list all the equipment you will need to power with the generator. After making a list, add up all the wattage. The total wattage number is the required electrical power input your equipment needs from the generator. The wattage information is found on the silver nameplate of the equipment.
- Alter kW to KVA:
The total wattage power you will find by adding up is in kW(kilowatts). It is the power load that produces working output. But the generators measure the power in kVA(kilo-volt-amperes). It measures the total power in a system. In the books, the electrical system is 100% efficient and kW=kVA, but practically it is not 100%. If you know the productivity of the electrical system, then you can convert between kVA and kW. The power factor of electrical productivity is counted between 0 to 1. The closer the power factor goes to 1, the efficiency of kVA gets more efficient to convert into kW. Internationally the power factor rate of the generator is 0.8. You have to match the load size with the generator by calculating the power factor. Let’s give an example: if your equipment has 100Kw wattage, then your generator size has to produce equivalent 125kVA power.
- Determine the time of running:
You have to decide for how long you will run the generator because the maximum capacity of a generator to run is 30 minutes. If you want to run the generator longer than 30 minutes, then take the generator size that can supply power with the capacity of 70%-80%.
- Your location:
After the load calculation and determining the size, you have to think about the location where you want to install the generator. You can’t just randomly pick a generator and install; space and the site have to match. If you live in a small place or up on the hill and you need a big generator, then it is totally impossible. Try to make extra space in your location for the generator before getting one.
Note: I think now you have a clear idea about determining the generator size. If you want to know about the difference between inverter generator vs regular generator, then check the article about this topic.
How To Choose A Perfect Generator?
Now comes the main part; how will you know that you are taking the right generator. Simple, just follow the tips I have given below. As three types of the generator- portable generator, stand by generator and inverter generator is popular, here I have enlightened the ways of choosing these generators:
Selecting A Portable Generator:
- Portable generators are the popular ones that people are considering to buy as it is a source of good power backup. It is versatile and cheap to run for household appliances.
- You can use the portable generator in construction sites to use tools smoothly also in the house where renovation is going on.
- When you are thinking of taking a portable generator, at first add up all the wattage of the appliances that you want to run the generator. This number will help to pick the right sized generator. You will get the wattage information on the appliances level.
- The best thing about this generator is you will get a generator with wheels to move in one place to another. This portability helps to make your work easier.
- Pick the generator that has on/off button. It helps to start the generator fast without any hassle.
Note: As you now informed about the benefits of portable generators you may want to have one if you are looking for the best portable battery generator you can read our next article.
Picking The Standby Generator
- If you are living in the area where power cut is frequent, then make a budget for a standby generator. This generator is able to provide backup power for the whole house in a power cut.
- This type of generator turns automatically on when the power goes off, and once the power is restored, it turns off. So, you don’t need to stay concern about starting or shutting the generator. Standby generators are not cheap, but if you need huge power backup, then it is worth it.
- The thing about the generator is quite disturbing is this type of generator creates noise while running. In the nighttime, it is hard to cope up with the noise. The modern standby generators come with advanced technology that keeps the noise level less.
- For a standby generator, LPG gas is safer and cleaner, but the running cost is expensive. So, you can use diesel or petrol to run the generator. This generator needs a professional to install as it will connect with the breaker box.
Picking The Inverter Generator:
- The inverter generator is for them who love camping, love to tailgate. This lightweight generator is quiet and provides smooth power backup.
- You can run the inverter generator with gas and propane. And you can use two inverter generators with a parallel connection that will allow you to maximize the double power.
- The power you will get from the inverter generator smooth and reliable. You can run different electric devices and gadgets like laptops, smartphones without any power lag problem. Just use this generator out from the house as this machine release carbon monoxide.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Here, in this section, we give the answer to your frequently asked questions.
Can I run my generator all night?
Yes, you can run the generator all night if you have enough gas left in the fuel tank.
What happens if I overload my generator?
You may face two types of incidents- one is the generator will shut down because of the circuit breaker and the other one is if there is no circuit breaker in the generator then it will keep running and overheating and lastly fire will start.
Does a generator need a surge protector?
No, because generators are safe as the power does not surge through the circuits.
We just don’t understand how we are dependent on electricity in our life. When power cut happens, the struggling with the darkness makes us the realization. Day by day, the need for the electricity is growing rapidly and meeting the huge demands sometimes the power grid fails, and power cut happens. To meet the urge of growing electricity need, generators are the best option to pick. This article will help you in how to choose a generator for your home and commercial use.