When you want things to last and give out their best performance, be sure to keep them under maintenance. The frequency of cleaning the slip rings depends on the type of rings that are used.
Your Generac generator also has slip rings. As your generator needs to be maintained, so do those slip rings. Have you ever given a thought about how to clean slip rings on Generac generator? You can simply try using a brush to dust off the dirt or wipe off the dirt using a clean, soft rag or cloth.
Why Do Slip Rings Need Cleaning
A huge portion of appliances doesn’t require cleaning or maintenance regularly. In general, no maintenance is required unless there’s a failure. But when it comes to your generator, they require regular maintenance.
When your generator is operated regularly, the slip rings on your generator can get dirty and dusty. They can also get affected by debris. When you need your generator to work smoothly, you need to keep your slip rings clean as much as possible.
Over time, the generator slip rings can become oxidized, tarnished, and coated with dirt. You need to keep the slip rings clean if you want to avoid the degradation of your generator. One of the biggest reasons behind the failure of a generator can be dirty or damaged slip rings.
How to Clean Slip Rings on Generac Generator
Not always; you will require extra time and effort when it comes to cleaning your slip rings. When the generators are used regularly, they are more likely to get dusty and dirty. They need to be kept clean if you want them to last longer.
You can follow the below-mentioned steps to keep your Generac generator clean:
Step 1: First things first, remove the slip rings from the generator.
Step 2: You will require a clean and soft rag to clean your slip rings.
Step 3: The slip rings need to be cleaned with brass or copper cleaner.
Step 4: You have to be sure that the rag you use is clean enough.
Step 5: Then pour some minimal amount of cleaner onto the rag.
Step 6: Then use the wet rag to wipe the rings to remove the dust and debris.
Step 7: No matter how hard you try, there is always a chance of some amount of residue
Step 8: You can use denatured alcohol to remove the residue
Step 9: Simply soak our rag into the denatured alcohol
Step 10: Be sure that your rag is clean
Step 11: Then rub the slip rings again
Step 12: This should remove all the residue and give you clean slip rings
Step 13: Lastly, you will need to replace it back into the generator.
By following the steps mentioned earlier, you can get clean slip rings without any hassle.
Safety Tips When Clean Slip Rings on Generac Generator
It is better to be safe than being sorry later. Even though your generator requires constant maintenance, it is essential to follow some safety measures. Cleaning your slip rings are easy and simple. If you are careful enough while handling the slip rings, then they will have a longer lifetime.
You can use these tips to maintain safety while you clean your slip rings:
- Firstly be sure to bring the slip rings out of the generator safely.
- If you need to clean the slip rings, you will require a soft and gentle rag.
- As you are planning on cleaning the slip rings, you must use a clean rag.
- For cleaning slip rings, you can use a copper or brass cleaning solution. This solution will help you clean most of the dirt and debris.
- Be gentle, and do not rub the slip rings harshly.
- Rubbing the slip rings may affect the slip rings.
- If you still find residue, then you can choose to use denatured alcohol.
- It is important to be very careful while taking the slip rings out and putting them back.
These are some handpicked tips that you may consider as safety features while cleaning slip rings of your generator.
Generators can be a great investment. The better you maintain them, the more their lifetime increases. We have come up with some tips and tricks to maintain your generator :
- Exercise the Generator: If you want to check if your generator is working properly, you can try and change the control from AUTO to MANUAL. Once you have changed the control, the generator will run for a few minutes. This will allow the unit to exercise before turning it back to AUTO mode once you have changed it back to AUTO mode. The unit of the generator will shut down.
- Checking the breaker: Be sure to put the breaker of the generator ON. The breaker works e providing power. So it is vital to ensure that it runs properly.
- Checking the oil: Keep an eye on the oil amount in your generator. You can use a dipstick to check how much oil is left. Make sure the oil is clear and not dirty. Also, make sure that the generator has enough oil to run. Try to keep extra oil present in your home.
- Battery life: The average life expectancy of the best battery generators is around 5-6 years. Keep on checking the age of the battery. Try to change it every 3-4 years for better performance.
- Air filter: Make sure that the air filter of your generator is clean. Try and change the air filter after every servicing.
We are at the end of the article. This is all the information we could provide you on how to keep slip rings clean on Generac Generator. We hope you have all your answers.
All our generator needs to perform better is maintenance. So be sure to maintain it properly.